Join Me on Shabby Lane Shops!

My Etsy Shop....

Tell them Grandma G's sent you!!

Mad Mimi Email Marketing
Apron Memories: Tie One On - An Apron Of Course !

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

THINGS IN MY HOUSE THURSDAY..Grammie's Desk!

Come join MommySweetMom for Things In My House Thursday and share the things in your house!!


When my grandmother was sixteen, in 1915, her parents gave her this desk. After she died, way too young at age 63, my grandpa used it for awhile and when I visited him in Indiana (after I was married) he gave it to me, and he said, "I want you to have Grammie's desk because I know you will take good care of it". I have had it for 35 years now and just love the way it looks in my living room. It holds many family mementos and they all make me smile when I see them!!

The glasses were my Mom's, they sit on a book that she gave me years ago; the framed photo is of my grandpa, at age 4, and his older sister, Ilo Mae; the letters tied in a pink ribbon were written by my great-grandmother to her children and other family members and behind the photo is a cloisonne stamp box that belonged to my great-aunt, Grammie's sister, Lois. The little metal elephant was Lois' too. Books on top of the desk belonged to various family members. Thanks for letting me share another "thing in my house" with you!





See you next Thursday!! Have a great week....

Hugs!!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I love that old desk and how special that he gave it to you....love the picture too......so sweet.

Unknown said...

Hey Georgia, I love the idea of posting things in your house! I love the old desk. How sweet your grandpa gave it to you.
Have a great day.

said...

What a wonderful, very feminine-looking desk. Made even more special due to the memories it holds for you. :o)

Karen said...

Every day you get to walk into that room and remember the very special people who made your life what it is today. How wonderful is that? Bits and pieces of loved ones - I love that. Write it all down, so whoever you pass it all on to understands the history too. I think we all need to write down more of our family's history, especially the stories of who gave what to whom, where and why. That's what makes everything so special.a
Great post! I like this idea!

{Bellamere Cottage} said...

What lovely treasures. I'm so sentimental......and keep everything, including a penny that was in one of my Mum's dresser drawers........lovely to have all of your beautiful things.. So sweet.

Blessings,
Spencer

Amy, a redeemed sheep said...

What a treasure!!! I love the plates on your wall, too. I hope you share them sometime. :o)